2nd Annual EML Cup Silicon Valley Chinese Contest 2022-2023
Organized by : Guy Emanuele Elementary School
Guy Emanuele Elementary School is going to host the 2nd Annual EML Cup Silicon Valley Chinese Star Contest including painting/drawing and Chinese poetry recitation for TK-6 Students, organized by Guy Emanuele Elementary School of New Haven Unified School District
- To provide an opportunity for students to develop global awareness and apply 21st century skills
- To provide a platform for students to show their multilingual talents and language proficiency in Chinese and connect students with the culture, literature, and rich history of China
- The contest will be held at Guy Emanuele Elementary School,100 Decoto Rd, Union City, CA 94587.
- Participants will be placed in the grade division based on their daytime school grades.
- There will be one champion, one 2nd and one 3rd place winners for each event per group. Champions, 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive trophies, certificates. All the other participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- The Poetry recitation is divided into “heritage speaker” and “non-heritage speaker” for Mandarin contests. The explanation of “heritage” or “non-heritage” Chinese speakers is determined by the registered Home Language Survey provided by the school district and will be double checked with the school district if the eligibility of a student is questioned.
- Participants will be required to recite two poems. One poem is assigned, and the other one is self-selected.
- Only on-line registration, no mailing or drop-in registration will be accepted. Fax and Email registrations are considered invalid. Please register online https://forms.gle/JzPS6YHPDjseSFwF9
- Registration must be received by the deadline, April 3 , 2023. No late registration will be accepted. Please email: email@example.com for further questions.
- Participants will receive confirmation as soon as they complete registration online. We will post the schedule for each contest group at Guy Emanuele Elementary School TWDL Webpage before April 3, 2023.
For registration, please click on the link https://forms.gle/JzPS6YHPDjseSFwF9.
Schedule of the contest Day, April 15, 2023
Registration at the gate next to the main office
8:30 am-9:00 am
Drawing/painting Contest (all language backgrounds)
10:05 am-11:30 am
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can parents stay with the students during the contest?
A: No, parents won’t come indoors. Once students sign in, they will be taken care of by our staff/volunteers. All parents will wait out of campus. Parents will pick up your child once their contest is over. Please refer to the schedule above. There is a lunch break before the award ceremony. Please also note, parents need to pick up your child either after drawing ( at 9:55 am) or poetry (at 11:30 am) for lunch, and then return at 12:30 for the award ceremony.
Q: Can students who attend the poetry recitation check in later?
A: Students who attend the drawing contest check in from 8:30-8: 55 am on 4/15 at the gate between the school office and the cafeteria. Parents will need to sign a photo release form at the check in desk. Without parent’s consent, we won’t take the student’s photos and publish them on our school/district platforms.
Students who attend the poetry contest check in from 9:30-9:55 am at the same place. Parents will need to sign a photo release form at the check in desk. Students will receive a number for their recitation sequence. The numbers are based on the first name’s alphabetical order.
Q: Do parents and participants need to show vaccine proof before entering the campus?
A: No, but parents need to monitor symptoms. Anyone who has symptoms may not come in.
Q: Do students need to wear masks?
Q: Is the contest held indoors or outdoors?
A: Both painting/drawing and poetry recitation contests are held indoors. Our staff/volunteers will walk your child to the designated classroom.
Q: How many poems should my child recite?
Each participant will recite two poems, one is designated and the other one is self-selected.
Q: What is the time limit for Mandarin Poetry Recitation?
A: Tk-3rd grade, within 3 minutes ( for two poems)
4th-6th grade, within 4 minutes ( for two poems)
Q: What is the time limit for the painting/drawing contest?
A: 55 minutes.
Q: Can we bring PPT slides, background music, etc. to the contest?
A: No, PPT slides and music are not allowed, but students are encouraged to dress up and recite the poem without a paper. Judges will evaluate performance from the following aspects: voice and articulation (tone, rhythm, and intonation), fluency, delivery (expression, voice, and eye contact), evidence of understanding, and physical presence.
Q: What is the drawing evaluation criteria?
A:Judges evaluate students’ drawings from the following aspects: creativity and originality, overall design based on the theme, color or image quality, and completeness of the final product.
Q: When is the award ceremony?
A:The award ceremony will be held at 12:30 on the same day at the school amphitheater (outdoor). If it is raining, the ceremony will be held inside the cafeteria. We expect all participants and parents to attend. Parents can come into campus to attend the award ceremony.